Assistive Technology Overview
Welcome to Assistive Technology
What We Do
We work with school teams to build site capacity to lower the barriers that prevent students from accessing their curriculum.
Please view the video to the left to get an overview of Assistive Technology. While watching, think of the AT Team as the folks that bring in the sandbag and that IEP teams should try be trying the backpack first.
This video shows many key AT concepts:
1) Identify how is the student struggling.
2) Trial tools starting with the tools that are most commonly available in the school environment.
3) Be flexible and willing to try different tools as needed to find a solution.
4) Anyone can help make AT decisions.
5) Get SETT - look at the student (squirrel) consider strengths and weaknesses, the environment - where the student needs the AT, the task - getting over the wall and then trying out tools. We identify and evaluate the need and consider appropriate tools. We don't evaluate a student around a tool, we want to look at what does a student need to get over the wall.
6) Re-evaluate often.